Sunday, August 7, 2011

How do I know I'm dreaming?

I read an article about various tricks about how you can check if you are dreaming or not when you get to a  certain level of awareness in a dream, and I catched up a new one I haven't tried before, but it's a common one:

- You take the finger on one hand and drive to drive it through the palm of the other hand. If the finger goes through your palm - tada - you are dreaming.

You can make it a habit in your daily life to perform this test every time you come to a new room or go outside. Eventually it will become a habit and suddenly you'll do it in a dream, your finger will pass through your palm, and you'll realize - "This is a dream!" and you will be lucid!

The first dream I tried this I managed to "re-lucid" myself through 4 false awakenings. (False awakening: When you wake up in bed from a lucid dream, but it's actually a new dream, you have just lost your lucidity and you think you have woken up for the next day in your real life.) I did the finger-test right away and instantly became lucid again.

The only thing I had a slight problem with was that I imagined pain as my finger went through the palm - and it hurt like hell. But after doing this test a couple of more times I managed to control my mind enough to remember that pain in a dream is only an illusion - it's all in your head.

These are the other ways I check if I'm dreaming. Try them out:
- Read text on a poster or sign. Turn around and look back again. If the text changed - you're dreaming!
- Check your feet. If you find something odd about your feet, like missing toes - you're dreaming!
- Check the time. If the clock keeps showing random times everytime you look at it - you're dreaming!
- Check your hands. If you find something odd about your hands - you're dreaming!
- Look at a person, turn away, then back again. If the appearance changed - you're dreaming!

2 comments:

Spatial Reason said...

There are many tricks to raise awareness. The tricks you selected are great for starters. Once you've progressed in lucid dreaming, you should no longer need to use these tricks near as often as you will be conditioned to automatically recognize the dream naturally, and subconsciously realize that once you're conscious and not located where you fell asleep, you are dreaming.

Anonymous said...

Et triks jeg gjør, er rett og slett at jeg bare fokuserer på detaljer i drømmen. Hvis det blir vanskelig å se, ting forandrer seg i det jeg ser på f.eks. en vegg, er det en drøm. Ofte får dette deg til å snappe ut av drømmen, spesielt fordi idet du blir klar over at du drømmer, trenger at det skjer noe hele tiden for å holde deg i drømmen.